A conversation with another colleague and reflections thereof. Thanks for reminding me of something I had said almost instinctively. When you asked me, "Are you too busy these days?", my response was: "We're not busy. We're mismanaged."
The more I think about it, the more I believe this applies not just to
businesses, but to life itself. We often glorify being "busy." It
sounds productive. It sounds important. But more often than not, what we call
busyness is actually a symptom of something else.
- Mismanaged priorities.
- Mismanaged time.
- Mismanaged attention.
- Mismanaged communication.
- Mismanaged systems.
As professionals/leaders, it's easy to confuse movement with progress. A day
filled with meetings, emails, calls, and firefighting can leave us exhausted,
yet wondering what truly moved the business forward.
I've realised that every recurring fire is usually pointing towards a missing
process. Every interruption hints at a lack of clarity. Every
"urgent" task often exists because something important wasn't managed
well earlier.
The goal, then, isn't to become less busy.
I'm curious how many times have you said "you are too busy" when what you really meant was "You need to manage better"?
No comments:
Post a Comment