Monday, September 7, 2026

Childhood obesity: Better questions?

I think we’re asking the wrong question as we monger over childhood obesity. Our children are growing up in a food environment we never had.

When we were children, food was around, but it wasn’t constantly available. Today, a child can have breakfast at home, something packed for school, a snack in the evening, dinner outside with the family, and perhaps something delivered later at night.

None of these choices looks particularly concerning on its own. But when these become part of everyday life, the environment starts influencing how a child eats. This is why I think we need to look at childhood obesity a little differently.

In many Indian families, food has become much more than nourishment. It is how we celebrate, spend time together, reward children and show affection. So when a child starts gaining weight, simply asking them to “eat less” misses the larger picture.

The home environment matters the food that is available, portion sizes, how often the family eats out, screen time, physical activity and the way food is used in family life. I have seen families where several members are struggling with obesity. In such situations, blaming the child makes very little sense.

This does not mean putting children on restrictive diets or making them count calories. It means making healthier habits a natural part of family life more movement, more outdoor time, simpler food, reasonable portions and less dependence on food for entertainment.

Perhaps we also need to rediscover ways of spending time together where eating isn’t always the main activity. A family outing doesn’t always need to end at a restaurant. A celebration doesn’t always have to revolve around food. And showing love doesn’t always have to mean offering something to eat.

If we want healthier children, perhaps the change needs to begin with the family, not the child.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hyderabad, Telangana, India
People call me aggressive, people think I am intimidating, People say that I am a hard nut to crack. But I guess people young or old do like hard nuts -- Isnt It? :-)