Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Omega-3 - All you need to know

Flax seeds alone aren’t enough for Omega-3. This is something I see many vegetarians misunderstand.

Omega-3 is not just one fatty acid. It includes three important forms

1. ALA ( Alpha-Linolenic Acid)
2. EPA ( Eicosapentaenoic Acid) and
3. DHA ( Docosahexaenoic Acid).

Flax seeds, chia seeds, walnuts and hemp seeds are excellent sources of ALA. But the body’s conversion of ALA into EPA and DHA is limited.

So if you’re vegetarian, don’t stop at flax seeds. Algae-based omega-3 can be a useful source of DHA and, in some formulations, EPA. EPA supports cardiovascular health, while DHA is particularly important for the brain and eyes.

Don’t just ask, “Am I getting omega-3?” Ask, “Which forms of omega-3 am I getting?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hyderabad, Telangana, India
People call me aggressive, people think I am intimidating, People say that I am a hard nut to crack. But I guess people young or old do like hard nuts -- Isnt It? :-)