Monday, September 28, 2026

Fat: that you cannot see

Over the last two years, one topic that has stayed with me is the role of Liver and Pancreatic fat in type 2 Diabetes. Let me explain. You may know someone who weighs more than you but doesn’t have diabetes. Meanwhile, you’ve been diagnosed despite being relatively slim.

One explanation is our Personal Fat Threshold. Each of us has a different capacity to store fat beneath the skin. When that capacity is exceeded, fat can accumulate in organs such as the liver and pancreas.

This can affect how the liver responds to insulin and, in susceptible people, how well the pancreas produces it. That is why I encourage you to look beyond your weight. Where your body stores fat matters too. The encouraging part is that - Reducing excess organ fat through sustained weight loss can help some people achieve type 2 diabetes remission.

But there is no fixed formula where removing a certain number of grams guarantees remission. Your response also depends on how well your insulin-producing cells can recover. And please don’t read this post and start a 48–72-hour fast on your own.

Prolonged fasting is not essential for remission. Any fasting plan needs a discussion with your treating doctor, especially if you take diabetes medication. What I want you to take away is this - Being slim does not rule out type 2 diabetes, and your care needs to look beyond the weighing scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hyderabad, Telangana, India
People call me aggressive, people think I am intimidating, People say that I am a hard nut to crack. But I guess people young or old do like hard nuts -- Isnt It? :-)